Friday, October 18, 2013

Ramen shop in Japan; craziness ensues

So I mentioned I would share an interesting story about a trip to a ramen shop I took and here it is. When I first got to Japan I was going out to eat quite a bit. I had yet to buy cooking supplies you need for daily life (most importantly I had no rice cooker). I ended up buying all the cooking stuff I needed at an AEON mall, this is a chain mall across Japan, they usually have everything you need in multi-story goodness. Anyways one night I went to a ramen shop I had spotted the day before. This was my first stop at a Japanese restraunt so a couple things threw me off guard. I started my visit by trying to figure out how to get into the building. There were a double set of sliding doors and of course I just stood there, the handles were small and I was expecting them to be automatic. I stood there feeling stupid for a few seconds (felt longer) and somebody else went in and I saw my mistake. Just a sliding door, nothing to extreme haha, I think this was my fault entirely and probably never would happen to 99 percent of people. Also i've since seen this style of door multiple times. Anyways I'll rattle off a little random ramen shop related info before I get to the main idea here; when you get in the shop there is usually a water station, you should help yourself. Second when you eat your ramen feel free to slurp it, its not rude, on the same note when the ramen noodles are gone you can pick up your bowl and drink from it like drinking the milk from your cereal bowl as a kid (or as an adult). Someone pointed out to me that I could drink it like that while I was drinking it by the spoonful. Finally the main plot (its not really that crazy.. sorry). When I was leaving an older man in his 60s or 70s finished up too. I was out the door before him and I was heading across the parking lot when he called out for me to come over and talk to him. My Japanese, especially at this point was not very good. Most of what he was saying was very confusing. To be honest I was clueless as to what the guy was trying to tell me. He was talking to me for a while and he even had us crouch down to talk, still right in front of the shop. He then started calling over every customer he saw trying to walk into or out of the shop and was asking them if they knew English. None of them did. I think some people thought I had a problem or needed help but from peoples reactions I think a lot of them knew this guy was kinda crazy. A couple people tried to help, I got the idea they felt a little bad/embarrased that the guy was bothering me (although I didn't mind). He was talking about my muscles, drinking alchohol, the olympics, random stuff seemingly. I was talking to this guy and random people passing by for probably 20 minutes. Nobody was able to speak any English. One young guy in his early 20s stopped to help. He had a phone he used to help translate that the guy I was talking to was according to the phone translator "uncle drunkard". This guy was at least a little drunk (I'm not very good at being able to tell and he didn't smell like it). The next message the guy helping said was saying not to worry about it. In retrospect I realize the old guy wanted to go drinking with me. Right away he was asking how old I was and when I told him I'm 19 I think he had a hard time believing it, but a lot of Japanese people think i'm older than I am. Understanding Japanese is already hard enough so when you add a drunk old guy into it it gets even more difficult. I didn't mind this happening at all, it was actually kind of a fun experience and I got to practice Japanese ;). In general stuff like this won't happen to you, drinking of course changes people and so this guy came and talked to me. It might happen a decent amount if you go to bars, but I haven't gone to one so I don't know. The main point is... ramen is delicious, go eat some!
On a side note I want to try and have pictures for every post from now on. As for todays post... Sadly I don't actually have one of ramen. I'm not the type to take pictures of my food. I planned on taking one for this blog but when the food is in front of me all I can think about is eating it... and maybe I remember when the food is complete. So today you get a picture of some food a Chinese friend made for me. Not ramen but still very delicious.

1 comment: