Saturday, October 26, 2013

Week 5 in Japan: Halloween, Earthquake, Working out

Another fun week has passed by for me here in Japan, how about for you? Time still passing?
        This week there was a 7.3 magnitude earthquake just a little ways off the east coast of Japan. This caused a one foot tsunami. Nobody was really hurt, and Fukushima's nuclear stuff is the same as it has been as far as I know. It's kind of interesting because I think this earthquake/tsunami got more news coverage in America than it did in Japan. I was sleeping when the earthquake happened because it happened at like 2 in the morning but I have friends here in Akita who felt it. So i've still yet to feel an earthquake here or in America(yay).
     Saturday night I met up with some friends and we went to a Yakiniku restraunt. It's one of those restraunts where there is a grill in the middle and they bring you plates of bite size meat that has been seasoned and you cook it right there in front of you all by yourself. Well I think a lot of times one person at the table will be in charge of most of the cooking, like a banker in monopoly (O.o). It was delicious and a fun experience. The meal ended up being pretty expensive for my taste but it was a great experience regardless. I can't remember the exact bill but we all just pooled our money without calculating it exactly, I know it was over 100 hundred dollars. The thing that made it really expensive was drinks. I had a few drinks and it doesn't seem like much because Yakiniku takes a long time to eat, because you are there cooking it like 8 pieces at a time. We ended up being there for about 2 hours, you could probably eat at one in less time but the set up is more for eating and talking and not being in a hurry. After the food we had planned on going to a big Halloween party that was going on in town but it was 1am by the time we got to it, the party ended at 4am and the entrance fee was 2000 yen (20 dollars) and that was with a student discount. So instead we walked to a place called Round 1. Round 1 is a building of games/sports/karaoke and more. Basically it has like every sport activity like archery/batting cage/indoor fishing/bowling/soccer field/rollerskating rink/karaoke rooms/basketball courts/tennis/ping pong/ a huge arcade / etc etc etc. Its a massive building that is I believe like 7 stories and has various games on each floor. You pay a cover fee (like 17 dollars for 4 hours) and you get to use everything as much as you want. Pretty fun time, only enough time to do a fraction of what they had but it was cool. The biggest downside was we were all pretty tired because we got there at 2am and left at 6am so at points it was exhausting, especially doing sports related stuff. Oh also for halloween I was actually a Pokemon trainer! I had bike gloves and a pokeball and stuff and things. I didn't wear the stuff all night though because Round 1 was not really halloween related(but I did wear a cape and mask rollerblading way too fast ^-^). There is a Halloween party actually on Halloween and i'll try and get a picture of me as a trainer... you might be dissapoint. Well thanks for reading again, I have 3 mediocre pictures rather than 1 good one, sorry none of the Yakiniku, my friend got a picture of it so maybe if I find it i'll post it on next weeks blog. Oh and talk to me in the comments pleaze.
   
 I fllagged down a random person to take our picture. Heres us walking back, the sun started to rise so for me it was actually great being up for the sunrise. I love the feel of early morining sun.

 Indoor fishing. We didn't spend too much time on it so we didn't catch anything. I don't know why it was so dark in there, maybe the fish need sleep too? I ended up mainly running around with the net trying to catch a fish... to no avail.
 This was a hard picture to take but I think my friend in front is actually in focus.. maybe. They had electric motorcycles that we drove around the roller rink area.

4 comments:

  1. That game building sounds pretty awesome! Who are the people in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys (in black: Shuto, in red: Yuta) and a couple others help set up a tent for my work/clubs booth at the school festival. So I met them and helped them sell churros as re-payment, and also because yelling at people to buy churros in Japanese is surprisingly fun. The girl's name is Wilma, her name was kind of hard to say so she said I can just pronounce it like Vilma from Scooby Doo. Shes from Sweden and goes to the international college like 45 mins out of the city. I met her selling churros. The guys don't really speak any English so sometimes Wilma would help if there was something that I didn't understand but since shes not perfect in English or Japanese that was also difficult. The guys are both chemistry majors(just a random fact). Oh and Yuta does Kendo and has an extra set of armor so I told him i'd battle him (and he accepted).

      Delete
  2. Dude, game building? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all seems so random. I love it. The food sounds so great!

    ReplyDelete