Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week 14 in Japan: Christmas!

      So this last week was fun because winter break started and it was Christmas. Believe it or not classes actually didn't get done until the 26th so there were still classes during Christmas. Christmas is a fairly big holiday here in Japan. Lots of decorations and Christmas music but it's not a holiday where you get school or work off here.
      On Christmas Eve I went to the biggest mall in Akita City called AEON. On Sundays and Tuesdays the bus ride is free throughout the day so it was nice it was a Tuesday. As far as Christmas festities go there were not any at the mall. This surprised me because the mall often does events, especially for kids. My guess is they either did one on the weekend or on Christmas day itself. There were however a lot of people mainly young girls wearing Santa Claus looking clothes. We enjoyed our time at the mall and eventually took the bus. On the bus I met up with some Chinese friends of mine and we decided to go to a bar and get "Nomihodai" or a buffet of drinks. We found a place that was offering a good deal of 3 hours of drinks for only about 12 dollars. We talked and ended up doing some Chinese drinking games too. I find that Chinese people are good at drinking. After that me and two others who live in the same apartment went to see the lights in the park on the way back. It was about 11pm when we were in the park with the Christmas lights and there were other people there but everybody besides us were couples. Christmas is a very romantic holiday in Japan. On Christmas day in the morning I got to Skype with my family so that was really nice. I had a great time with friends on Christmas Eve and Christmas day but it's not the same as being with family like I have been every previous year. On the 26th me and 3 other friends got together and exchanged gifts in a random fashion. Two of the friends I met with are from South Korea and they made some Korean food so that was really great.
      This weeks blog is kind of short beause in general I'm going to save you from the details of every party and time I hangout with friends and mainly write things that are a little more interesting like about new foods or culture. I still have a few pictures for you to view and I hope you enjoyed this short blog, as always thanks for reading.










Me and a couple friends enjoying the Christmas lights on the Eve before the big day. I asked them what a good Chinese pose would be for a picture. This is what they did haha.
 On the left is my friend from Cambodia Linda and on the right is my friend from South Korea Balguem. I don't think the ice cream needs much explanation other than it was awesome.

 My two Korean friends posing by the Chrismas tree at the mall. I thought it looked better with part of the dinosaur advertisement in it.
 Us at the mall by the tree. Friends from South Korea, Israel (the one with glasses), Romania, Cambodia, and me from America. Pretty diverse group.

 The previously mentioned Korean food and friends on the 26th. Kind of a Christmas thing cause we did give presents.

3 comments: