Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Week 28 in Japan: Fixing my bike, hanging with friends, football recruitment

      This last week on Monday I had to go and get my bike fixed because the back tire went flat. The first shop I stopped at said they could fix it for ¥3600 in 1 weeks time. I guess lots of people are getting their bikes foxed now that spring weather is here. Anyways I went down the street to check out a much smaller bike shop where a hunched over old man with great hair had a shop. He said he could fix my bike in 1 hour and he did it for cheaper too. I actually went and did this with my friend Ryouen who is much better at Japanese than me. Even Ryouen didn't understand some of what the guy was saying because he was using the Akita dialect. You could feel fluent in one area of Japan and have a hard time understanding anything in another region. Especially when talking to older people. The really crazy part is that this is true even though Japan is a fairly small country.
      Thursday was a busy day from the morning I had a short football practice then we all went to the university in our football gear and did had a table and handed out flyers promoting the football team. It was a day for all the clubs of the university to kinda get the word out about themselves. It was such a strange feeling to try to get people to join the club when in America only the best players can hope to play college football. Really the opposite here at least for the football team. Anyways I did that for a while but had to leave early because I had my English job at the university to go to. We had a meeting for about 3 hours getting things ready for the semester to start and therefore the part time job starting again too. Things like this with my job are fairly common and are also not paid. I don't really mind not getting paid much at all though because I enjoy it, I like the organization and the people who run it. Finally later that night I met my friend Tomomi and we ate Udon. As far as Japanese girls names Tomomi is definitely one of my favorites haha. Finally later that night some Japanese friends Yuki, Yoshida, Kano, Teppei, and Odaka messaged me they were having a little "Takopa" which basically translates to Octopus party. We made Takoyaki which is a very delicious Japanese food filled with octopus, and it's fun to make too!
      Saturday night I went to a club/bar because a friend of mine named Megumi was DJ that night and it was a special spring event. I didn't really want to go because I don't like to drink much (especially at bars because It's expensive) and I don't like to dance that much (especially around people I don't know) but I did anyways and ended up being glad I did too. I mainly chatted with my only other friend there Wakiko.
      All in all it was a good week. I have a football game on Saturday that I'm super excited about and hope to get to tell you that we get the win. It's an event that I think is held every spring and it's called the Namahage Bowl. We lost it last year but I wasn't there last year ;D. Anyways classes start this week so I'm getting even busier now! Thanks for reading!

 This is just a picture of Takoyaki I got from google because I didn't take one myself. My phone was actually out of commision for a while. Anyways Takoyaki is definitely in my top 5 favorite Japanese foods! Also don't worry about the ocotopus being nasty. It's really not a super abstract taste, just delicous.. I think most people would like it a lot.


 Watching video of our practice after practice and my friend Touno quick drew up who I was supposed to block after we saw me mess up on the video. Touno is a super helpful guy. Really nothing worse than not blocking the right guy and being the cause of a play going bad.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty awesome when you do something that you didn't like to do and have fun anyway!!!!

    ReplyDelete